An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, inspiring, capable person to join our talented
team at YMCA West Kent. In this vital role, you will support and teach City & Guilds Level
1 Carpentry & Joinery to trainees attending our Post-16 Provision, supporting them in
overcoming barriers to learning and playing a vital part in helping them to achieve their personal and vocational goals.
- Deliver high quality, individual construction skills trade training, primarily carpentry & joinery
- Ensure the YMCA West Kent Horizon Project ethos and pastoral support is outstanding; and qualification evidence and portfolios are of the highest standard.
- Respond to the needs of the vulnerable trainees attending the Project.
- Support the development of social enterprise and business development opportunities to maximise training value.
- Support and strengthen teaching and mentoring. Be a positive role model for trainees. Mentor and provide guidance and advice.
- Liaise with colleagues and other agencies to ensure trainees develop to their full potential.
- Employed by West Kent YMCA.
- Accountable to the Lead Tutor and Horizon Project Manager
- Accountable for Health & Safety and quality of trade training
- Supervision provided by Horizon Project Manager.
- Plan and deliver a robust, engaging and fun Diploma (City & Guilds Level 1 Construction Skills: Carpentry & Joinery) Health & Safety
- Consult with, and respond appropriately to trainees’ needs in accordance with their Provision Plan, assisting with personal development, working closely with colleagues and other agencies to ensure maximum development and progression of each trainee.
- Act as a positive role model for trainees, mentor, supervise and provide guidance and advice.
- Actively promote, support and supervise peer mentoring by trainees
- Ensure all trainees’ work and portfolios are of the highest standard and up to date at all times.
- Liaise with the Lead Tutor to develop lesson plans, SOW’s and all under-pining knowledge to meet Horizon standards and portfolios, consistent with maintaining C&G ‘Centre of Excellence’ status.
- Assist in developing YMCA Social Enterprise and new business opportunities.
- Actively work within The Horizon team sharing good practice.
- Support the development of viable work experience and next steps opportunities.
- Develop apprenticeship training.
- Provide support, advice and information to other projects.
- Provide reports as necessary to the Project Manager
- Carry out any other tasks, commensurate with the purposes of the post, on the direction of the Project Manager or Chief Executive.
- Professional teaching qualification (minimum PTTLS) and construction / carpentry experience
- Qualified / willing to work towards NVQ assessor qualification
- Demonstrable training skills as a trainer, tutor, mentor or teacher. Gifted communicator
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Knowledge and experience of Health and Safety in construction and learning environments
- Proven experience and skills as a "self-starter", reliable with a flexible and patient attitude
- A Christian or supportive of the Christian ethos of West Kent YMCA
- Resilience, confidence and experience of training learners with challenging behaviour
- Knowledge & experience of issues affecting young people e.g. substance misuse, homelessness, family breakdown, mental health, learning or physical disabilities, school exclusion, crime, ADD, ADHD, ASD, ODD, GDD
- Experience working in a caring supporting environment with young people, such as youth work, social work or support work
- Carpentry / Joinery qualifications
- Experience of vocational training
- Driver and access to own car
To apply / find out more, please email email@example.com or call Jane on 01732 363990.
References and a DBS check will be essential.